Friday, January 26, 2007

Two things today

#1

To: pm@pm.gc.ca
Re: Nuclear war
Cc: MacKay.P@parl.gc.ca

Dear Prime Minister Harper,

My name is Timothy Schwinghamer. I am a graduate student at the University of Manitoba. I am writing to you because I am frightened by the potentially imminent attack by the U. S. on Iran. Such an attack could move western and central Asia into total chaos. It could create radioactive fallout. It would kill millions of people and could ignite a nuclear war. Before any such eventuality, I will participate in organizing and mobilizing an anti-war movement, to the best of my ability. However, you must withdraw any military presence in western Asia. Stopping the U. S. attack on Iran will require a great deal of diplomatic creativity and swiftness.

Very recently, the board of directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, in consultation with a board of sponsors that includes 18 nobel laureates, moved the Doomsday Clock from 7 to 5 min 'til midnight. We are marching - like The Fool - with one foot over the precipice.

Stop the nuclear war before it happens.

Sincerely,

[etc.]

#2

[I can't seem to access the original article in the Lancet. Here's the next best thing.]
Potentials for exposure to industrial chemicals suspected of causing developmental neurotoxicity

No comments: