199 Bay Street, suite 4440
Toronto ON M5L 1E9
Trade Commission of Mexico
1 Dundas St. West
Suite 2110, P.O. Box 11
Toronto ON M5G 1Z3
I eagerly await reparations for the injustices done to the citizens of Oaxaca. I ask you to take the measures necessary to put an end to the violent situation. Since Brad Will was shot, I have been observing the situation, and I am in solidarity with the people in their fight. I believe that the Mexican government is responsible for what happened on October 27, in the city of Oaxaca. I think that they have a responsibility to protect their citizens. I am appalled by the brutality that transpired:
- At least three people were shot dead, include to Brad Will, a journalist with American Indymedia.
- Thirty people were wounded, including: 25-year-old Francisco Angeles (son of a teacher of Cuicatlan), Martín Olivera Ortíz (wounded in the leg), Guillermo Garci'a de Zaachila (wounded in the back), and 25-year-old Enedino Cross Sanchez (hand was shot).
- An undetermined number of people are missing.
- Armed men surrounded the house of the Popular Indigenous Council of Oaxaca and threatened members.
- Groups paid by the authorities are shooting the civil populace in the street.
This situation ought not intensify in any violent way. I do not support the intervention of police forces in the city, which only oppress the activities of people and organizations who denounce their undemocratic policies. For these reasons I demand:
- The immediate resignation of Ulises Ruiz.
- The freedom of political prisoners.
- The immediate return of the disappeared.
- That the Mexican authorities return to engage in a dialogue with the APPO to find a peaceful solution to the conflict.
- The immediate end of any attacks on the Oaxaqueña population.
Any information of your undertakings to fulfill these requests would be appreciated.