Saturday, February 17, 2007

pm@pm.gc.ca

Prime Minister Stephen Harper:

My name is Timothy Schwinghamer. I am a resident of Winnipeg and a graduate student at the University of Manitoba. I am contacting you to echo the concerns voiced previously by the Council of Canadians. I must add my own voice to their call. I am deeply troubled by the idea of deep integration between Canada and the U.S.

I am very concerned by the Security and Prosperity Partnership ministers meeting, scheduled for February 23rd. I am most particularly concerned by the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC). You ought to dissolve the NACC. Corporations such as Manulife Financial, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and Lockheed Martin should not be shaping economic policy between Canada and the United States. Furthermore, you ought to make NACC's list of priorities available to the public.

Please keep the promise from the Throne Speech, i.e., that "significant international treaties will be submitted for votes in Parliament." Surely no treaty is more significant to people in Canada than The Security and Prosperity Partnership. It ought to be subject to public hearings, as well as brought to the House of Commons for a thorough debate and vote.

These economic manipulations are not abstractions. They have real effects on real people and our home communities. Please take some time to consider all this seriously, and I am sure that you will be able to advocate for the people who you represent.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

No comments: